Badoo Reaches 150 Million Users Worldwide
LONDON, May 5, 2012: Badoo, the world’s largest social network for meeting new people, today announced it has reached 150 million registered users, a significant growth milestone for the company. Badoo is now one of the top five social networking sites globally, according to both Alexa and comScore, and a leader in the rapidly-growing “social discovery” market, which focuses on meeting new people via mobile apps.
Badoo Growth By The Numbers:
- More than 60% growth year on year (Source: comScore)
- More than 35 million active users per month worldwide (Source: comScore)
- While Southern Europe and Latin America continue to show strong growth, the US, UK, Germany and Russia are growing fast, and are now in Badoo’s top ten markets worldwide
- Continued profitability and annual run rate of $150 million
- Badoo now adds more than 125,000 new users every day
- Mobile usage has grown by 100% since November 2011 - with Badoo more than doubling mobile revenues in that period
- Badoo’s mobile apps have made significant gains in the US over the last six months:
- Badoo’s Android app is now one of the top 10 most popular apps (#7) for social networking, up from #35 in November 2011 (Source: Distimo)
- Badoo’s iPhone app is now a top 25 social networking app, up from #60 in November 2011 (Source: Distimo)
- Badoo is regularly a top 5 grossing iPhone app around the world (Source: AppAnnie)
- Badoo is now used in 40 different languages in 180 countries
- Badoo is actively hiring - its team has grown by 15% in the past quarter
International Growth Trends:
International expansion has been a key priority for Badoo in 2012, particularly into markets such as the US and the UK, Germany and Eastern Europe.
With an official US launch in March 2012, Badoo has already attracted more than eight million users in this important market, and is gathering significant momentum in major metros such as New York (where Badoo just launched its first advertising campaign), Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston and others.
Product Innovation Leads to Mobile and Web Growth:
Badoo has seen rapid growth across all of its mobile platforms, including iOS, Android and Mobile Web. In markets such as the US, Badoo is now seeing more new registrations on mobile than on Web, with 68% of new users coming to the site via mobile over the past six months.
Badoo led the industry in developing an innovative freemium model for its web and mobile apps, and its iPhone app regularly appears in the Top Five Grossing Apps ranking in multiple markets around the world. (Source: AppAnnie)
It has also recently introduced new free features, including the successful launch of “Interests”, where users can share what they’re interested in, and which was developed with the new US and UK markets in mind, although it has also found huge popularity in all other markets.
Executive Team Expansion and Recruitment of Key Talent:
Badoo has continued its expansion with a number of senior executive appointments, including former Google executive Benjamin Ling, who was recently appointed Chief Operating Officer, and who joins other former Google executives on the management and product engineering teams. Benjamin will oversee product, engineering, business operations, partnerships and corporate development, based at the company’s London office.
Badoo is hiring across key geographies, including the UK, US, Russia, Asia and Latin America, as it continues its international expansion.
“Badoo has grown fast in many major markets, and has now established itself as the world’s largest social network for meeting new people,” said Andrey Andreev, founder of Badoo. “Our mission is to make it as easy as possible to bring people together, so they can chat, make friends, date and have fun. And there is a massive opportunity to do this on a global scale.”
“Hitting the 150 million user milestone is a testament to our success in new and existing markets, and across the mobile platform, and we’re excited about continuing our momentum in 2012.”